Phone: 337 668 4413
552 Main Street
Cankton, LA 70584
St. John Berchman’s, located in the Coulee Croché area, was originally a mission of the Jesuit parish at Grand Coteau, now known as St. Charles Borromeo. In 1912, this area had a population large enough to warrant the construction of a small mission chapel. A few years later, the small building became insufficient to accommodate all of the people. Therefore, it was dismantled and the material was used in the second chapel. It was built in a different location just down the road, where the church of today now stands. This second chapel was destroyed by a freak windstorm in 1924, and was replaced by the present church which was completed in 1925.
The parish was served by the Jesuit Fathers from 1912 to 1925, until it was established as a parish and taken over by diocesan priests. Father Hugues Dandurand arrived in February 1925, after being appointed pastor. It was under his pastorship that the new church was completed, a rectory built, and stained glass windows installed. The following priests served as pastor after its establishment as a parish: Father Hugues Dandurand (1925-1960), Father Paul Thibodeaux (1960-1966), Father Gerard Smit (1966-1975), Father Alfred Gaudet (1975-1982), Monsignor Charles Mallet (1982-1996), Father Jude Halphen (1996-1999), Father Mario Romero (1999-2004), Father Henry Broussard (2004-present).
Holy Days6:30 PMon day of Feast
Saturday3:00 PM - 3:30 PMby appointment