Statistics concerning Sexual Abuse
- Experts estimate that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before their 18th birthday.
- 1 in 5 children are sexually solicited while on the internet.
- Most child victims never report the abuse.
- 30-40% of children who are sexually abused are abused by family members.
- More than 90% of children who are sexually abused know their abusers. This means fewer than 10% of abusers are strangers.
- More than 80% of sexual abuse cases occur in one-adult/one-child situations.
- People who abuse children look and act just like everyone else. In fact, they often go out of their way to appear trustworthy to gain access to children.